Monday, June 25, 2007

day one

Day one. Slipped away on a plane somewhere over the Asian Seas leading into Oz. I feel anxious, tired, excited and most of all, home.After splurging on some fresh produce from the market across from my townhouse, I made a simple salad for dinner. Something you might want to take note of if you ever plan to travel is this: you cannot measure success with a pillow or a towel. You CAN shower and dry your hair without a towel. - a scarf works just fine to keep that wet hair tied up. Yes, I admit that half of my bedding was brought to me care of Air Canada. Though I regret not taking the soft pillows, my bed looks most wonderful with the green blanket. Why did I bring my batman pillowcase? I wish I had something to stuff it with so that I could wake up to Batman and Robin instead of some half deflated version of a pillow one rests their head on. My desk is my suitcase turned upside down, and I love it. My desktop is probably even bigger than most people’s, considering the fact that it flows over to the floor beside me. As it gets colder I can’t avoid the fact that I didn’t bring my favorite sleeping hoodie , bonkers! I’ll bet you’re pretty surprised that I even have a bed, eh? Me too!I had a chat with God, it involved me not spending over $100 for a mattress from the college. So upon arrival what do I see but a school mattress for free, propped up and all.Well of course I took the mattress off of the frame and realized that it was in fact a book case turned on its side. Well of course I am now using the bookcase and have made quite the home.There you have it. Today I bring the message of truth. What we need, and what we want are words and actions only divided by our sense of luxury and convenience. How comfortable is bed without a pillowcase? Still soft.How sturdy is a desk made of luggage? Still strong.Chapel was wonderful. Freedom truly reigns. The church building? Its …big. Not too big though, since the place manages to be packed for every event. So naturally, I’m frightened to see what Hillsong Women’s Tea will be like tomorrow morning. I’m not in school yet. I haven’t traveled yet. There are three South Afrikaners, one American and myself under this roof.Who knows what kind of impact this will all have on my accent.We are too lazy to walk around the park and down to the road, so we jump our 6foot fence.I am told tomorrow is my first lesson on how to successfully accomplish the fence jump with backpack and bass.Day one was stolen by the seas and day two, by a mighty God. Who, today found a mattress for my body to rest, and fed me from Alicia’s fridge when I was hungry. -Still anxious, overtired, stranded in pj’s and a fridged bedroom.But most importantly, I am home.

No comments: